CMD-J70 from Sony was the first GSM mobile phone that I bought in Europe. The ecosystem of GSM was very much interesting to me. In Japan, there was no GSM service offered. In contrast with GSM world, every single handset was tightly coupled with each contract. You could not use your handset if you moved from an operator to the next one, because, all mobile phones were designed for a specific operator.
Screen is black and white, 96x92 pixel size.
It is a bit shorter than 5 inches. (A bit taller than 10 cm.)
(SD card on the left does not mean J70 can adapt it.)
No direction keys but jog dial, which is equipped on the left side of the screen.
While most of mobile phones could play only a simple tone, J70 could play polyphonic tone. It was impressive then.
Microsoft WAP/HTML browser.
POP mail account settings and composing an email.
This phone comes with no IrDA, no Bluetooth. No GPRS/EDGE.
Connector looks like recent Sony Ericsson's but it is actually different. I often connected this handset to PC via USB cable and used it as a modem.
World clock. On this screen, you can change time zone where you are.
J70 is a very significant one in my life with mobile phones. It makes me recollect many good memories that happened to me in 2002 when I bought it. I carefully keep it on my bookshelf even though I do not use it any longer.
- Dialer - Dial utility to convert the plus sign to an international call prefix(2008.11.23)
- Expense Report application(2008.11.27)
- Adding Simplified Chinese locale - Expense Report (2)(2008.11.29)
- Reorganisation of internal state management - Expense Report (3)(2008.12.11)
- Improvement of multilingual support - Expense Report (4)(2008.12.12)